Amazonia Mini Experience 4 Days / 3 Nights
Total Land cost for 4 days/3 nights: USD $895 per person
(Shorter or longer trips available)
Includes all in Amazon (all transfers, lodging, meals, private guide, excursions customized to your liking, gear such as jungle boots, wifi, entrance fees, conservation fees, port taxes, etc.).
Optional expenses only: cola or beer drinks, souvenirs, tips, laundry.
Day 1 (trip starts after arrival of people on LA 2240, scheduled to arrive just past noon)
Transfer in from airport or hotel
If airport: Look for our booth in the baggage area of Iquitos Airport, by the restrooms, with our logo (head of a hoatzin bird in a diamond shape).
If hotel: please let us know the address for where to pick you up.
Speedboat transfer (note–is 4 hours) up the Amazon, then the Tahuayo tributary to our lodge.
At the Tahuayo Lodge
Your choice of guided excursions in and around the Tamshiyacu-Tahuayo Reserve. Every day your guide will discuss a selection of activities that you can choose to do. There is no extra cost for private guide or customizing your itinerary to your needs and interests.
The main lodge has the greater variety of excursions of our two lodges. The following is but a sample list of activities to choose from:
The Canopy Experience
varzeaforest behind lodge; highly probable to see pygmy marmosets, owl monkeys, yellow-crowned brush tailedrats, wire-tailed manakins. Also possible to see black tamarins, saddle-backed tamarins, trogons.
Hike to Lake Tapaje, explore by canoe.
Canoe into tahuampa forest (flooded forest), canoe past giant ficus trees, see hoatzin birds, horned screamers, look for caiman on observation platform.
Motorboat to terra firme forest, hike into frog valley. See beautiful little poison dart frogs, which were studied by scientists from Uppsala University (Sweden).
See bat cavity (huge tree whose center has rotted out); braver people can crawl through bat cavity.
Motorboat to Lake Charo to view pink dolphins, swimming in lake. En route look for squirrel monkeys, sloths, raptors.
Fish for piranha.
Visit native village of El Chino. Visit artisania cooperative. Visit with shaman (subject to his availability). Visit farm. Visit school.
Morning return to the main lodge
Afternoon boat to Iquitos
Transfer to airport or hotel
Days at the Tahuayo Lodge
Amazonia’s main lodge on the Tahuayo River is not a resort, nor a hotel, but a rustic lodge, comfortable for adventurous travelers. Cabins are private, and all have private bathrooms. Explore from the lodge with your private guide in and around the Tahuayo Reserve. We offer fully customizable itineraries and excursions day and night. To get you started, here is a list of some of our more popular activities:
- The Canopy Experience –Hike or canoe (depending on the season) through Igapo forest to reach our canopy zipline complex.
- Igapo Forest Exploration – Explore the Igapo forest with your guide in search of wildlife. Go by foot or canoe while searching for beautiful birds, primates, and other wildlife.
- Tahuayo River Exploration – Go by boat with your private guide to explore the Tahuayo River. Here you can spot colorful birds (macaws, tanagers, hawks) sloths, and monkeys along the riverbank.
- Cultural Visit – take a short boat ride over to the nearby village of El Chino, this is an experience to see how people live in one of the most remote places on the planet. Visit the school or clinic that we have constructed for the communities. Contact us if you wish to sponsor a nutritious breakfast for the children or bring some books for the school.
- Tabano Lake Excursion – Canoe in and around a flooded oxbow lake with a vast diversity of wildlife. Search for the spectacular hoatzin (one of the world’s most interesting and unique birds), black caiman, horned screamers, turtles, tamarins, titi monkeys and much more.
- Piranha Fishing – Head by boat early in the morning or late afternoon to fish for the infamous Amazonian piranha.
- Frog Valley – For this full-day excursion, you will ride a motorboat up the Rio Blanco to visit frog valley. Hike through the dense Terra Firme jungle searching for beautiful little poison dart frogs.
- Dolphin Search – search for the rare Amazonian Pink Dolphin
- Swimming – Cool off and go for a swim in some of the larger lakes and rivers in our area
- Night Excursions – if you are still feeling adventurous into the night we offer a variety of night excursions.
- Go for a night hike or canoe ride to search for scorpions, tarantulas, snakes and other nocturnal wildlife.
- Explore by boat on the Tahuayo or Blanco river; here you can search for caimans, snakes, and frogs.
- Test your jungle skills and try fishing like the locals do, with a spear and a headlamp. (best during the dry season)
- If you are in the mood to relax, sometimes it is nice to ride down the Tahuayo River and find a spot to enjoy the constellations while you listen to the jungle sounds all around you. Have you ever seen the night sky with NO light pollution?
- See the full list of excursions on our website.
- Anything else you want to see or do? Just ask. Your trip is fully customizable.
Days at the Amazon Research Center
Depart the main lodge in the morning en route to the Amazon Research Center (ARC). The Research Center is more remote and about 2 hours up river from our main lodge. Cabins are private, simple and comfortable, all have shared bathrooms.
- Trail Grid – We have over 75 km of hiking trails from the research center, most of the trails are laid out in a grid to facilitate the scientific collection of population data (In the rainy season these may become canoe trails). The trails go through several ecosystems, including bajial, high and low restinga, palm swamp and terra firme. We can see many different species of monkeys, including brown and white capuchins, saki monkeys, titi monkeys, squirrel monkeys, pygmy marmosets, moustached tamarins, saddle-backed tamarins, sometimes uakaris, as well as giant tayra weasels and tamandua anteaters. Data collected from camera traps also reveal a high density of jaguar live here, but these are rarely seen.
- Participate in our Saki Monkey Project.
- Boating the various lakes and rivers from the research center we often see caiman as well as the highly endangered giant river otter.
- Hiking to Lake Yarina – Full day or 2 days with camping (camping requires advance reservation) (dry season best) we can see hoatzins on their nests, blue and yellow macaws and caiman.
Our time in the jungle was an absolute highlight on our trip to Peru! Truly amazing! …Again, we had the most wonderful time. Almost more than words can say. The jungle and the Tahuayo Lodge hold very special places in our hearts and CAN NOT WAIT to return. Thank you again for offering such an amazing trip.
Our trip was INCREDIBLE. The lodge was great, the food was amazing, and the staff were all so friendly. We loved our stays at the B&B, the main lodge, and the ARC.
Tia & Paula
It was incredible and a trip of a lifetime Paul! My sister Paula and I had an amazing time and loved everything — your facilities and staff are top notch and I want to come back with my husband and daughters!!