Day 1 (trip starts after arrival of people on LA 2240, scheduled to arrive just past noon)
- Transfer in from airport or hotel
- If airport: Look for our booth in the baggage area of Iquitos Airport, by the restrooms, with our logo (head of a hoatzin bird in a diamond shape).
- If hotel: please let us know the address for where to pick you up.
- Speedboat transfer (note–is 4 hours) up the Amazon, then the Tahuayo tributary to our lodge.
- Evening excursion
At the Tahuayo Lodge
Full day birding in the islands near the mouth of the Tahuayo, a great place for sandpipers, herons, terns, skimmers, stilts, plovers and others.
Evening looking for nocturnally active species along the river.
Morning in varzea ecosystem, afternoon in secondary growth habitats around the villages
Morning in tahuampa ecosystem (flooded forest; afternoon birding in cocha (oxbow lake).
Full day birding in terra firme forest
At Amazon Research Center lodge, ARC
Early morning birding in Palmichal stream, then continue birding up the Tahuayo River to the remote research center lodge
Morning birding in high and low restinga forest, and palm swamp forest
Afternoon birding in Dolphin Lake
Full day birding Lake Yarina
- Morning return to the main lodge
- Afternoon boat to Iquitos
- Transfer to airport or hotel
A note on our two lodges
The Tahuayo Lodge (main lodge)
- Cabins have private bathrooms
- Greater variety of activities
The Research Center Lodge (ARC)
- Cabins have shared bathrooms
- Better hiking, over 50 miles of trails through a variety of ecosystems
- More wildlife
- Lodge is more remote, in more pristine forest