Amazonia’s Mini Experience 4 days/3 nights
Day 1 (trip starts after arrival of people on LA 2240, scheduled to arrive just past noon)
- Transfer in from airport or hotel
- If airport: Look for our booth in the baggage area of Iquitos Airport, by the restrooms, with our logo (head of a hoatzin bird in a diamond shape).
- If hotel: please let us know the address for where to pick you up.
- Speedboat transfer (note–is 4 hours) up the Amazon, then the Tahuayo tributary to our lodge.
- Evening excursion
At the Tahuayo Lodge
Your choice of guided excursions in and around the Tamshiyacu-Tahuayo Reserve. Every day your guide will discuss a selection of activities that you can choose to do. There is no extra cost for private guide or customizing your itinerary to your needs and interests.
The main lodge has the greater variety of excursions of our two lodges. The following is but a sample list of activities to choose from:
- The Canopy Experience
- Hike into varzea forest behind lodge; highly probable to see pygmy marmosets, owl monkeys, yellow-crowned brush tailed rats, wire-tailed manakins. Also possible to see black tamarins, saddle-backed tamarins, trogons.
- Hike to Lake Tapaje, explore by canoe.
- Canoe into tahuampa forest (flooded forest), canoe past giant ficus trees, see hoatzin birds, horned screamers, look for caiman on observation platform.
- Motorboat to terra firme forest, hike into frog valley. See beautiful little poison dart frogs, which were studied by scientists from Uppsala University (Sweden).
- See bat cavity (huge tree whose center has rotted out); braver people can crawl through bat cavity.
- Motorboat to Lake Charo to view pink dolphins, swimming in lake. En route look for squirrel monkeys, sloths, raptors.
- Fish for piranha.
- Visit native village of El Chino. Visit artisania cooperative. Visit with shaman (subject to his availability). Visit farm. Visit school.
- Morning return to the main lodge
- Afternoon boat to Iquitos
- Transfer to airport or hotel